Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Ten Mundane Things I Want to Do Before I Die

Okay, so everyone has a bucket list. A list of amazing, dramatic, nearly unachievable tasks they want to complete before they die. Some want to do crazy stuff like sky dive or bungee jump. Others are more culturally centered, like seeing every Pope during their life time. Some, still, have lofty goals like writing a memoir or solving a major social issue like world hunger. I, on the other hand, am aiming lower...much lower. Why set yourself up for failure, right? I'm not saying these goals are pointless or won't make me a better person. But I think they will be much more achievable in the long run.

1. Learn all the words to "Bust a Move". Cause you never know when the right Young MC lyric will be needed in casual conversation. Plus, it's just a fun song to sing.
2. Get one more tattoo. Yes. One and only one. I have absolutely no desire to put myself through the pain again, except one of my tattoos is of Jace's name. And, well, I have another kid now. Kind of seems like a no-brainer.
3. Paint every room in my house a different color. Seems easy enough, but then you have to consider who I'm married to: Captain Neutral.
4. Win a Karaoke contest. Not much to explain about that one.
5. Learn to play guitar. I mean really learn to play. I've dabbled a few times but still pretty much suck at it.
6. Grow a garden with actual edible food in it.
7. Get fit and then get certified to be a group fitness trainer. On my way to the "getting fit" part. I even had an opportunity to get trained to teach classes at the Simmons Center but passed it up. What was I thinking?
8. Get my master's degree in Exercise Science. Okay, so that one's not so mundane, but it is pretty achievable. More so than, say, curing cancer.
9. Ride/Own a bicycle built for two. I'll ride it and sing, "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do..." hands down, my favorite Meenie song.
10. Hmmm...I guess I'll go with run a marathon. I don't have much desire to do right now but someday I will and I really want those bragging rights.

So that's it. That's my grand mediocre list. And reading over them, my last few are all exercise-centered. Never really pegged myself as a fit-nut. But some day I will go back to work and that's really the only thing I ever thought I would really enjoy.

Just so you know, I do have a few stoic things in mind for my real bucket list. But I'll save those for me. I will say that three of them are living in my house as we speak.

3 comments:

  1. I always look forward to reading your posts!

    I think your list is sensical and fantastic! I'm excited to get to hear about all of your accomplishments!

    Good luck! And you're kicking butt at the "get fit" business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.) I didn't know you had a Jace tattoo! When? Where?

    9.) Uncle Paul and Aunt Margie had a bike for two. When i was about 8 years old I got to ride it behind Paps. I want one too!

    11.) Blog each day. ( I added that one for you)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rorenee:
    I have Jace's footprint and name on my front left hip. Got it for my birthday two years ago. Whereya been?

    ReplyDelete