Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

'Tis The Season




     There are two types of people in this world: Joiners and Non-Joiners. I happen to belong to the former category.  Some folks like to be on the outside looking in, admiring the goings-on of others and thinking to themselves, hey, that looks kinda fun, but never venturing out to explore the perks of belonging to a club. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put this class down. Without them, every function we ever go to would be like going to Wal-Mart at midnight on Black Friday. I, however, am just not one of those people.
     I like to be in on the action. I like to create the action. I like the excitement of anticipation, the stress of last minute details, the structure of group meetings and knowing I have something to do on such and such day.  For instance, I've always wanted to be a part of a book club, but since it's hard to get away from the house to go to meetings, I started one on Facebook.  Same goes with my family's facebook page. I wanted a way to stay connected and have a special forum for posting things only fellow Sorrell's would understand. Ergo, the FB group Glam Fam was created. Most recently I joined the PTA and can't wait to help with fundraisers and luncheons. And for my birthday next year, I'm orchestrating my very own FLASH MOB!!!! Yesssss.  I can't help it! I just like that kind of thing.
    So what better time of year to join things that the holiday season??  School parties, work parties, festivals, parades, shopping, gift-giving, light shows, music, ugly sweater parties, plays, cantatas...it's a magical time of year!  As soon as the back-to-school hype is over, I can feel it in my bones....the giddy schoolgirl excitement building and plotting, eagerly looking forward to all the holiday lore that is to come. I take advantage of every opportunity to join in on the fun. Most of it comes fairly easily (i.e. not having to twist hubby's arm). But sometimes I'm on my own. Decorating the tree, festive clothes - fuh-ghet-it. And caroling? P-shaw!! Neeever gonna happen. Actually I have yet to find a group to go caroling with. I'm still working on that one.
     Admittedly, I get into the Christmas spirit much more than the fall activities. I saw a poster yesterday and laughed my head off because it's SO TRUE:
Dear Christmas(Please excuse the txt cussing)

Seriously, what happens the day after Halloween? Twenty-four-hour Christmas music and a bombarding of all things Christmas. Sure there's a few pumpkin-inspired items, but let's face it, they're just foreplay for the big event.
     Either way, Joiner or Non-Joiner, the holidays are quickly approaching and I'm STOKED (if you couldn't tell). No one can deny the splendor that is the holidays, not even the most reclusive scrooge in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment