Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

The Positives

     In one of my most recent blogs, I wrote that I hadn't had anything nagging at me to be written in a while. But what I should have said is that I didn't have anything negative to be written in a while. Why is that?  I read over my entire blog and while most of my entries usually have a come-full-circle template with a happy ending, the prompt to write is usually something negative or a problem to be reconciled or a situation that is slightly askew.  So if I write something positive, I'm bragging?? Is that it?   I read very few blogs, and my own is one of them (for self-counseling reasons). But the ones I do read, the author is usually dealing with something that makes me feel better about myself. For example, I LUUUV  Rants From Mommyland because they talk about all the crazy happenings of a mom and their struggles to deal. I have a laugh, give one of those Dude-I-know-exactly-what-you're-talking-about head bobs, and go tackle my own day.  NONE of the blogs I read, though, tells me how great their life is. If they did, I'd probably read it once and go, "Well la-dee-friggin-da. Good for you," and I'd never read it again.
  
      So what does that say about me? What does that say about all of us?  Am I the only one with this prejudice against well-to-do's?  Because it's not just blogs to which this theory applies.  MTV Cribs and Lifestyles of The Rich and Famous, they just make me go, "Ugh," because I see how well they are doing and think, "Why them and not me?"  But an episode of Hoarders comes on or Jersey Shore??? Now that's a show that makes me feel better about myself!! I'm DEFINITELY better off than that slob/slut!!! That's gotta be why those shows are even popular! I can't be the only one that feels this way or else shows like that would get cancelled.
    
     Okay, now once again, my blog entry is based around my own dilemma: I need schmut TV to feel better about myself. Well, that's just not true. While I do admit that I need some outside qualification to confirm my opinion about myself (i.e. a compliment from husband, an atta-girl here and there from coworkers/family, etc), I can in fact go to sleep at night knowing that I'm a good person.  Still, I'm reluctant to write a blog based on the good things in my life. Maybe I'm doing my readers a disservice with this practice.  I don't need to go into all the havoc around us to reiterate the need for positive things in our lives.  We should be lifted up by others' triumphs and celebrate achievements rather than look down on others to feel superior, right?

     From now on, I will try  to write more "positively perfect posts."  Okay, maybe not so much perfect, but positive? Yes.  So please don't think I'm bragging if I write a blog to say, "Guess what? I ROCK!"  Just trying to focus attention elsewhere, is all. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment