Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ramona Quimby is My Homegirl

So last night I watched Ramona and Beazus. My neice is here and it was her movie pick, but to be honest I had a secret longing to watch it anyway. So thanks, Lo, for being my scapegoat.

Ramona is a girl after my own heart. She's spunky. She's courageous. She's not afraid to be different. She'd rather wear t-shirts than tiaras. She's fierce.

But she has a vulnerable side to her as well. With courage comes failure. If you think about it, it's really a numbers game. One who never takes risks undoubtably has a low failure rate. But for girls like me and Ramona...well, sometimes it feels like failure is our middle name.

Despite our best efforts, things just go wrong. We get grand ideas that we just KNOW are going to impress and dazzle and somehow we forget one tiny little detail that unravels the whole scheme, thwarting all our efforts and shadowing our true intent. Drat that stupid Murphy and his stupid law.
But in the movie last night, Ramona saw a way to "save" her family. It was going to take something big, but that didn't scare her. She tried. Chaos ensued.
I'm in a similar situation. I was presented with a way to really help my family financially, but it's something completely out of my comfort zone and it's something I've failed at several times before. If I succeed, it will be big. Vindication big. But if I fail...ohhhhhh if I fail. It will be just one more punch in the gut that reminds me that I have fallen short of expectations. Again.
In the end, Ramona did, in fact, save the day. And after switching off the telly I felt pumped, empowered! If Ramona can do it...IIII can do it!! Okay, so Ramona lives in La La Land where there's always happy endings. But surely my number is up to succeed. Surely Murphy is burdening someone else at the moment.
It's a risk. I could fail. But that never stopped Ramona. And like I said, Ramona is my homegirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment